Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

24 Feb 2006

Hola chanchitos,
Don´t have much time to write today, sorry. We´re going to me the mayor of Cayambe today and I can´t be late for that. A few more things about being poor: Washing clothes by hand is really really labor intensive. Not fun to do with cold water at 10,000 feet when it´s getting dark! I hope things are going well for all of you at home. This google mail chat thing is pretty weird, eh? If you see me on, please feel free to send a line my way.

The 3 kids in my family never let me go to bed at nighçht without giving me a hug. At first it was merely charming, but now I really look forward to the nightly ritual. We did an activity today wher we all got on a bus and it rode throught the town and then we got mock-robbed. The guys with guns took my little backpack but I didn´t let them take my frisbee. Gotta have priorities.
Life in my village revolves around milk. Milk in the morning and milk in the evening, all to the queseria where they make cheese which is then trucked and sold in the few larger cities.... my family makes $600 per month give or take, and that goes to support five of them. Three kids at school, clothing, food, etc...all from $60 a month. And they´re fairly well off..despite not even owning forks. Gotta go. All the best to yall!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home