Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

29 May 2006


Due to stated demand (by one person) I have decided to show you the nitty gritty reality of life here in Ecuador. At times it can be a ruthlessly machisimo society, where men and their sometimes brutish behaviors are tolerated if not openly encouraged. The reality is that it's not all that uncommon for boys to be brought by their fathers or older brothers to brothels for the express purpose of losing their virginity. I don't say this to embarrass my host country, just to expose some of the truth about life in Latin America. So take this photo from the Sueño Azul show yesterday. Notice the beer bottles in the swimming pool. I know some people dream of a world where they can literally swim in beer, but take it from me, it's not that attractive. Anyways, like I said, the show was a lot of fun, and how is it really different from Britney Spears or the Spice Girls or any other entertainment act where sex appeal is the main attraction? Not all that different I think.

There are more risqué photos of the performance, but I kept it PG because there might be kiddies watching.

I might have mentioned that here in my site they are currently working on a huge urban renovation project. Lots of government money is going into beautification of the streets and sidewalks and parks here. I think that some of the money is going towards the native plant nursury that I'll likely start working in soon. However, maybe they've gone a little too far with their plans to beautify the city. I mean, take a look at this sign it looks like they're getting ready to put up. What's with that? (This is a joke. Like I said, non-PC today.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home