Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

25 Dec 2007

I wish you a Merry...

Good evening to all, and to all a good night.
Naw, not yet.  I have to wish you a Merry Politically-Installed Pagan Sun-God Replacement Day! 

"You mean Christmas, right?"
Ummmmm.

The smell of REAL PINE Christmas trees.  Jingle bells.  Silent night (tell me where one can actually get that with all the jingle bells ringing!)  Gathering with friends and family.  Crispy cold air and apple cider or hot chocolate.  I dig it.  I dig it all, and miss it for sure.  I just don't buy into the reasons given for throwing the shindig in the first place.  I'm finding myself in a situation where I want to say a lot but need to spend some more time searching for the words to say it.  No desire to offend anyone.

I spent last night at my counterpart's house.  After making a nice fresh salad and bringing the shoestring potatoes and balsamic vinegar and olive oil to garnish it, I met up with her family and the other volunteer in Zaruma and proceeded to partake in a stuffing spread of turkey, lasagna, "Christmas rice" (made somehow with Coca Cola to make it sweet and to color it brown, since it was regular old plain white rice afterall, the Ecuadorian National Dish), another salad made with potatoes, apples, and about three pints of mayonnaise (The condiment of choice that is somehow the OTHER Ecuadorian National Dish) ... all followed up by some homemade chocolate chip cookies.  In a brilliantly appreciated guesture of good-will, one of the guests had her daughter hand me a tiny package wrapped in colorful paper as she said "Feliz Navidad."  Awww, how cute!  They got me a gift!  At home this morning I opened it to find two pairs of white ankle socks.  One pair says SPORT, the other pair says SPEED.  I was going to wear the SPEED socks on a 6.5 hour hike I took today, except that neither of the pairs fits my absurdly large gringo feet.  So it goes, it was the thought that counts.

Now looking forward to the coming New Year's fun, which will include a visit from the Chuffmate, YAY!

All the best to you, wherever and whoever you happen to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home