Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

25 Aug 2008


If you saw the posts from a couple of weeks back you'll be familiar with the Lassen Volcanic Crater Whales that I encountered while traipsing around near Drakesbad and its surrounding hydrothermal wonders. Well after hiking out of there and leaving the Vortex, I got a little lonely for the adorable aquatic mammals from the molten blood of the Earth. So, using a little hobo magic and some mystical Indian Medicine Wheel know-how, I conjured up my own little Crater Whale from the embers of a fire at the Burney Falls campground.


And here she is the next morning at the Rock Creek Cascades, supposedly the "best swimming hole on the entire PCT." I can't agree with that evaluation, but the whale certainly is tickled to be along for the ride. I mean really, who else carries a freaking WHALE on their thru-hike? No one, that's who!


I think I should have a caption contest for this photo. Comments anyone? What would a Crater Whale say in this situation?


Grizzly Peak Lookout Tower King Kong-style fun.


Mt. Shasta and the orange glowing sky-orb that roasted us with 133 degree on the ground temperatures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home