Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

27 Sept 2008



And awayyy we go!

Late afternoon is when the wildfire smke would blow over and fill up the caldera a bit, lending an otherworldly visage to the scene. Six miles across, folks. Wow.


Jump.. Go on, do it! JUUUMP!


Two photos from the bad dream trip from Eugene Oregon to Manning Park, BC. I say bad dream for a few reasons. First, going from silent and pristine wilderness to the bustle and jarring invasiveness of cities again in akin to being woken up with a bucket of ice water being thrown over you. Second, an 18 hour bus ride is just too eerily similar to the way I was getting around in Ecuador for the last two years. I thought I'd escaped that. Ahh well, there were signs along the way that indicated I was on the right path.


Like this one: The juxtaposition on the duty free shop's rack of a BOBCAT with Orca (sic) CRATER WHALES. These are my people (sic) animals! Now just to deal with Canadian Immigration officials who'd never heard of the PCT wanting to know why I was only going to be in Canada for one day and how, if I only had a one wa ticket, was I planning on passing through U.S. customs? I'll leave that for someone else to figure out. I just walked back into this country. No machine gun emplacements, no fifteen lane border crossing booths, no moat filled with acid and crocodiles, no barbed wire or steel border fencing. Just a quiet trail and a little monument and me in the woods, completely unaware of how great the next few days would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home