Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

27 Sept 2008


While collecting water from a spring I noticed a number of ants struggling for all they were worth to escape the clutches of water surface tension. Dozens of them were twitching and flailing their six legs in an attempt to grab hold of anything but for some reason none of them could ever get close enough to the "shore" of the puddle to get out. I marveled for a while at this and eventually lent them a hand with a stick so they could get away. The Pink Floyd line "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ... year after year..." immediately struck me when I saw this couple doing their pathetic water dance. Beautiful and tragic, like a lot of oher things out here I guess.


The meadow next to the springs, with two hikers incoming to show some scale.


Even pine needles can get in on the fall color action.


What's that? A Fire Lookout Tower you say, Mister Map? This I would like to see for myself. Off trail up a ridge to get a closer look. I could, yesss, I could follow the ridgetop to the peak where the tower is without too much difficulty. Amazing views I'll wager.


I've taken a lichen to the little things there are to see on and off trail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home