Chronicles of the Wayward Moot

WELCOME TO THE MOOT, oh world-wanderers and word-whisperers. After two years of Peace Corps. After 2,200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. What. Comes. Next?

20 Dec 2008


Right-O. Been a while since I've had pics up here. Bouncing around all over the country does that it seems. Here are a few to bring us to the present day in frigid cold Bend, Oregon.
Above, an example of why I really really like Oregon. Dogs are allowed to drive vans.


Sunset over Portland. I spent the better part of a week hanging out in Portland, reading about Zen, going jogging in the parks, climbing an old volcano, exploring the awesome Hawthorne district, and getting to know my couchsurfing host when she was around.








And for those of you patiently waiting for a glimpse of the new tattoo that I got after getting off the trail last month, here's a first look. (This is my left forearm) It's a compass rose with wood, metal, and stone textures. Compass because it's a tool for determining direction, a worldwide symbol of travel and adventure, and can get us back on track when we're lost. The impossible triangle is a motif I've loved since the 8th grade and for me it symbolizes that anything one imagines can be made reality. The letters A, I, and O are from a mantra I learned in the Peace Corps: Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. Kind of the same positive message of independence and self-sufficiency that my other tattoo inspires in me. This photo was taken while it was still healing. It looks better now that the hair has grown back and the swelling is down.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

this tattoo is excellent. I have spoken.

9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home